Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Not your mother's deviled eggs


I always avoided deviled eggs. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and I thought I didn't like mayonnaise. And even though I like mayo now, I even like egg salad, but I still don't like traditional deviled eggs.

Which is why I came up with an alternative. And these deviled eggs -- which I call Italian eggs -- have become a signature dish I serve at almost every backyard barbecue.

With trial and error, and a little help from the Food Network and the 'net, I've found a few tips for making the best hard boiled eggs. First, I always buy my eggs in advance and let them sit in the 'fridge for at least a week before boiling them up. If the eggs are too fresh, the membrane between the egg and shell doesn't release and the eggs are impossible to peel. But if the eggs are a little less than fresh, an air bubble forms between the egg and the membrane and the shell easily peels off.

Put the eggs in a large sauce pan and cover with plenty of water. Place over high heat and cook for 23 minutes, turning down heat if water starts to boil over. When the timer rings, remove eggs from boiling water and immediately put in a bowl of ice water (stopping the cooking immediately eliminates the green ring that can form around the yoke if the eggs cool slowly). When cool enough to handle, remove from ice water, peel shells and return eggs to ice water to cool completely. Once cook, dry eggs well and store in the 'fridge.

6 to 8 hard boiled eggs
extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt, to taste
Cut eggs in half and carefully remove yolks. In a bowl, mash yolks with a fork and add enough olive oil until yolks are smoothly mashed and holding together. Season to taste with salt. Spoon yolk mixture into egg whites and chill until serving.

5 comments:

Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

click here for food recipes

ArkAngels for Russian Orphans said...

Jeena:
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you continue to visit! And I will be sure to check out your blog too!!

--Lisa

Wonderful said...

Wholesale Silver Jewelry
Wholesale 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry
Silver Jewelry

bfggds said...

Bomber leather jackets are also available Moncler Jackets for men who want to look stylish and add a tough look to their personalities. the north face jackets Bomber leather jackets have always represented a person whose life is full adventures and who has enough dare to compete without any difficulty at any turn of his life. Women bomber leather jackets are also Ugg boots 5815 available that add an extra hot look to women wearing them.

Jenny Smith said...


Nice post love reading it
Womens Leather Biker Jacket

Leather jacket women

blazers for women